Marine Salinity Waterproof Tester - HI98319
HI98319 is a digital salinity tester designed specifically for saltwater aquariums and displays results in parts per thousand (ppt), Practical Salinity Units (PSU), or specific gravity (S.G.). This waterproof tester uses an amperometric conductivity probe to determine the salt content in the water. This robust tester displays the readings along with temperature on a large LCD.
- Exposed Temperature Probe for Fast Response
- Two Button Operation
- Simple Two-Button Operation
Hanna Instruments HI98319 is a salinity tester made specifically for the saltwater aquarium enthusiest and can measure salinity up to 70.00 ppt. The rugged waterproof tester is only 0.7" thick and extremely ergonomic, fitting comfortably in your hand. The HI98319 keeps things simple with a two-button operation; one for ON/OFF, the other for calibration.
The salinity tester features a large multi level LCD which displays either ppt, PSU or specific gravity along with temperature. Temperature can be set to display in oC or oF. An exposed temperature sensor allows for rapid automatic temperature compensated measurements. The LCD screen has stability and calibration tag indicators. A battery percent level indicator is displayed at start up to alert the user of the remaining battery power that is available.
Salinity readings are performed by an amperometric graphite probe that resists oxidation, providing better repeatability in measurements. The use of graphite also reduces the polarization effect common with testers that use two stainless steel pins.
Calibration is performed by pressing the dedicated calibration button. Once in calibration mode, the probe is placed in 35.00 ppt calibration standard. When the standard value is recognized and stability reached, the meter will automatically accept and store the value.
Setup options include an adjustable automatic shut-off in which the meter can be set to turn off after 8 minutes, 60 minutes, or disabled. To enter the setup mode the user presses a button located in the battery compartment.
HI98319 waterproof salinity tester provides a simple, accurate and cost-effective way to determine the salt concentration in saltwater aquariums.
Features at a Glance
Seawater Salinity by Conductivity
- All salinity measurements displayed on the large multi-level LCD are calculated from a conductivity measurement based upon known tables including the International Oceanographic Tables for ppt readings.
Choice of Measurement Units
- Displays results in parts per thousand (ppt), Practical Salinity Units (PSU), or specific gravity (S.G.).
Automatic Temperature Compensation
- Conductivity measurements are very sensitive to temperature variations. HI98319 has an exposed temperature sensor for a rapid temperature compensated salinity measurement.
- Reduces polarization effects common testers that use with stainless steel and does not oxidize resulting in a reliable and accurate readings.
- A 35.00 ppt solution is used for calibration and automatically recognized when in calibration mode.
- Selectable from 8 minutes, 60 minutes, or disabled.
Long Battery Life
- Approximately 100 hours of continuous use.
Plastic Carrying Case
- The 98319 is supplied complete with meter and 35 ppt calibration sachets in a durable plastic storage case.
|Salinity Range||0.0 to 70.0 ppt (g/L)|
|Salinity Resolution (ppt)||0.1 ppt (g/L)|
|Salinity Accuracy (ppt)||±1 ppt for 0.0 to 40.0 ppt; ±2 ppt for readings over 40.0 ppt|
|Salinity Calibration (ppt)||all ranges calibrated with 35.00 ppt salinity standard|
|Salinity (PSU) Range||0.0 to 70.0 PSU|
|Salinity (PSU) Resolution||0.1 PSU|
|Salinity (PSU) Accuracy||±1 PSU for 0.0 to 40.0 PSU ; ±2 PSU for readings over 40.0 PSU|
|Specific Gravity Range||1.000 to 1.041 S.G.|
|Specific Gravity Resolution||0.001 S.G.|
|Specific Gravity Accuracy||±0.001 S.G.|
|Temperature Compensation||automatic from 5.0 to 50.0°C (41.0 to 122.0°F)|
|Salinity Method||ppt - International Oceanographic Tables, 1966
PSU - Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 2520 B, Electrical Conductivity Method
Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 2520 C, Density Method
|Temperature Range||0.0 to 50.0°C; 32.0 to 122.0°F|
|Temperature Resolution||0.1°C; 0.1°F|
|Temperature Accuracy||±0.5°C; ±1°F|
|Automatic Shut-Off||user selectable 8 minutes, 60 minutes, or disabled|
|Battery Type/Life||CR2032 3V lithium ion / approximately 100 hours|
|Environment||0 to 50°C (32 to 122°F); RH max 100%|
|Dimensions||160 x 40 x 17 mm (6.3 x 1.6 x 0.7“)|
|Weight||68 g (2.4 oz.) without battery|
|Ordering Information||HI98319 is supplied with protective cap, 35.00 ppt calibration solution sachet (4), CR2032 battery (1), plastic storage case, instrument quality certificate and instructional manual.|